What is the most absorbable form of calcium? Natural vs non untaught source?
I have osteoporosis. I enjoy initially asked here what the best brand of coral calcium is. I got conflicting replies. Someone give me tips about coral calcium, Intuition tell me indeed that if it's from a once living source such as coral it's better. But then someone said that this too is calcium carbonate. Someone suggested calcium citrate is the best.
Besides, are calcium and magnesium supplements friends or enemy?
At present I'm on calcium carbonate 2mg daily + one monthly vial of vitamin D + Fosamax, the regimen recommended by my doctor.
So what is the best among the three: coral calcium, calcium citrate or my current regimen? Any other suggestion?
Thanks for taking the time to read adjectives this, and possibly respond! Any resources on the web?
1.Calcium Citrate -
Absorption: Calcium is best engaged in an bitter environment, hence calcium citrate is the best absorbed supplemental form of calcium. It does not require extra stomach acerbic for absorption, hence we may pocket it anytime in a daytime, even on an empty stomach.
Calcium content: Calcium Citrate usually provides smaller number elemental calcium per pill than Calcium Carbonate, therefore one may entail to take a relatively more numbers of pills per daytime to meet the wishes.
Pill Size: Calcium Citrate is usually small in tablet form.
If you suffer from acid stomach, it is best to avoid Calcium Citrate.
2.Calcium Carbonate e.g. Tums or Caltrate
Absorption: Calcium Carbonate is alkaline base, it requires extra stomach acid for better digestion, hence it is best taken right after meals or next to a glass of bitter juice such as red juice.
Calcium Content: Calcium Carbonate is the most prevalent calcium supplements within the market . It provides more elemental calcium than Calcium Citrate hence you may not involve take as copious pills.
Pill Size: Calcium Carbonate usually comes in a bigger tablet, some nation may find it harder to swallow.
3.Coral calcium, indeed, is composed of mostly calcium carbonate, just similar to those you found in Tums or other calcium carbonate supplements from the stores! In extra, in June 2003, the Federal Trade Commission FTC have charged the marketers of Coral Calcium Supreme with making false and unsubstantiated claims just about the product's health benefits.
The Dietary Reference Intake DRI for calcium for adults is 1000mg -1300mg depending on age and femininity.
Warning: do not consume more than 2500mg of elemental calcium daily.
NATURAL PRESCRIPTION FOR OSTEOPOROSIS
Increase foods containing calcium, including low-fat dairy products. You can add on dry, powdered milk to certain recipe -- puddings, meat loafs, muffins, and baked goods-to boost calcium content.
Reduce your protein intake (limit to 6 ounces daily) and your salt intake (avoid the saline shaker and use sparingly in cooking.
Eliminate caffeine, sugar, and alcohol from your diet. Stop smoking
Adopt a program of regular exercise.
Calcium: 1,200 mg of calcium citrate at bedtime.
Magnesium: 400 mg /day.
Boron: 2 mg/day.
Vitamin D: 400 IU /day.
Calcium carbonate is fine and is found within seashells and certain rock. Calcium citrate have higher bioavailability than carbonate and is better engaged. Coral is primarily composed of calcium carbonate with traces of magnesium, which is needed for better digestion and utilization (like vit. D) but the harvesting of coral decimate coral reefs and endangers the habitat of many species of fish.
Continue near the Fosamax, it's not a form of calcium. You can also take calcium citrate that have both mag & vit. D (cholecalciferol) added to it. I have to believe you're taking more than only just 2mg of calcium daily, as you stated. Maybe 2000mg?
calcium carbonate isnt drastically absorbable really, and can actually inflict bone spurs, not prevent them. Calcium citrate is better absorbed than calcium carbonate but much more expensive. In an article from the November, 1999 issue of The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, Howard J. Heller, MD and his colleagues compared the calcium digestion of Citracal (a calcium citrate formulation) and Os-Cal (a calcium carbonate one) after a single oral dose (500 mg calcium), taken with a teatime. By measuring blood level of calcium, they demonstrated that calcium citrate is 2.5 times more bioavailable (easier for your body to use) than calcium carbonate.
Calcium from an organic food source, as to be found within s health food store, is the best!
I instinctively use a different a form of calcium that most people are not familiarized with. The form of calcium that I use is call calcium orotate. You might be wondering what is the difference between calcium orotate and the others that you mentioned. The calcium orotate actually deliver the calcium to the cells. The other forms of calcium you might be lucky if you involve 9% of the calcium.The name of the product that I use is call Intracal. The calcium orotate was discovered by Dr. Hans Nieper over 27 years ago. I focus this is the best calcium that I have ever used. You will also find that the standard of the ingredients that are used in the Intracal are sour the highest talent and this product does not contain any preservatives ,food coloring and other unnecessary ingreditns that are used by many other supplement companies.
Calcium citrate is the best one you enjoy mentioned because it is organic and natural calcium is absorbed much better than inorganic calcium such as calcium oxide or calcium carbonate. Calcium gluconate and other natural calcium would also be fine.
Calcium and magnesium are friends and interact but you must avoid a gross excess of one because then the one contained by gross excess is absorbed at the expense of the other one due to preferential digestion and you could end up not good enough in the other one.
The best magnesium to rob is magnesium orotate or other organic magnesium because they are obsessed much better than inorganic magnesium such as magnesium oxide and carbonate and dolomite. Dolomite is calcium carbonate plus magnesium carbonate. Although carbonates contain carbon this carbon is regarded as inorganic carbon because carbonates behave approaching inorganic anions.
It's not just just about calcium. It's about the faculty of the living cells surrounded by your bones to structure calcium into the bone mass.
Cows get their caclium from green, leafy veggies. Such plants also contain the different other nutrients that you were designed to utilize for dutiful health, which includes your untaught ability to regulate your bone density.
I resembling coral calcium because you can make it into a drink. i approaching drinks better than pills, i think you achieve more out of them, especially when you can drink them slowly during a meal.
One of the greatest sources of calcium is green leafy vegetables.
Exercise is great for osteoporosis. especially solidity bearing exercise, i would see someone nearly setting up a routine.
Coral calcium has be hyped a lot, but my nutrition prof be not impressed with it. As a supplement surrounded by pill form, we'd look for calcium citrate, chelated calcium or (last choice) calcium lactate.
A good concept is to buy high-quality products and rotate among brands respectively time you buy. We are never 100% sure that these "natural" products have surrounded by them exactly the ingredients they say, hence the superior names and the rotation.
At the risk of sounding approaching a nag, may I add a few remarks:
1) there's something wrong beside your 2mg dosage. A minimum dose for an osteoporosis patient would be one gram per daytime, which is 1000 milligrams. Please pay strict attention to the sticky label on the bottle. You are looking for the "elemental calcium" content, not the milligrams or grams of calcium compound. For example, a 600 mg Ca tablet can actually contain with the sole purpose 150 mg of elemental calcium. Most high-quality manufacturer will specify on the label the milligram content of the compound and also the milligram content of "elemental calcium." If the sign does not present this information, it would be best to avoid this product.
2) calcium (Ca) must other be combined with magnesium (Mg). The motivation is that a high-calcium or calcium-only intake will result in a web calcium depletion of the bone tissue. The body must always aver Ca/Mg in a specific go together in the bloodstream. If the human man overdoses on calcium only, the ingenious body will dissolve bone tissue to dig up the magnesium necessary to preserve the blood balance.
This momentous fact is sometimes neglected by medical doctors. A adjectives practice is to prescribe 1 or 2 grams of calcium only, while neglect magnesium. A recipe for disaster.
The proportion of Ca to Mg is about 2 to 1. Most first-class calcium preparations will also present magnesium in the right proportion. Or you can buy them separately. If buying separately, alike caution re "elemental magnesium" will apply. Ideally, you will be looking for something similar to 1 gram of elemental calcium plus 500 mg elemental magnesium per day.
This should be taken within staggered doses during the day, beside meals because Ca & Mg occupy better with food. For example, one 500 mg Ca next to 200-250 mg Mg with lunch, another beside dinner, a third with breakfast if you resembling.
3) all osteoporosis patients should modify and re-work their entire nutrition program. The hope here is to prevent calcium loss from the bones, rather than simply increasing the oral intake. Can you find someone to work near you, possibly in a low-cost clinic associated beside a good college of naturopathy or a nutrition faculty in your nouns.
Your goal here is to vary gradually from a diet that burns to an sour ash - this is the typical North American diet - to one that leaves a more alkaline ash. Foods to reduce are meat, excessive protein, second-hand goods foods, processed commercial foods, soda pop, excessive sugar, white flour products and coffee. Foods to increase are simple. More vegetables. More fruit. More vegetables. Whole grains. More vegetables. Beans and lentils. More vegetables.
4) more on nutrition. Authorities are divided as to whether calcium from dairy products such as milk, yoghurt and cheese or calcium from dark-green-leafy vegetables is better assimilated by the human body. I expect really good authorities near plenty of academic studies to put a bet on up each point of attitude. What to do when the authorities can't agree? The answer seems simple - keep hold of lots of both in your diet.
The dark-green-leafies include broccoli, rapini, chard, kale, beet and turnip greens, and to a much low-grade extent the deeply colored lettuces such as oak branch and romaine.
If your nutrition is not very nutritious right now, it will pocket some time to accustom yourself to a better regime, perhaps an entire year. That's why a learned nutritionist or naturopath could help near support & suggestions. I'd start by visiting my local farmers' flea market, most cities have them in a minute, and please especially check out the organic produce.
5) a hoof it on the wild side - something to surmise about. Wild greens are chock-full of costly minerals including calcium, magnesium and potassium, and they're brimming with vitamins. Dandelion leaves, for example, contain more minerals and vitamins than spinach. Another high-mineral furious green leaf is nettles, traditionally made into nettle soup or an infusion to drink (combine next to fruit juice or your favorite tea if you resembling.) You can find these wild greens at a local farmers' bazaar, or perhaps at your form food store. You could even learn to find and harvest them in the countryside yourself.
One interesting herb call horsetail helps to deposit calcium into bone tissue. It grows raging across north America and is sold in condition food stores. You'd make it into an infusion (steep for 4 hours or more to extract the minerals.) In the morning, combine near tea & heat as a breakfast beverage. Use this no more than 1 or at the most 2 weeks out of 4, as it contains silica. This is well-mannered for your joints contained by small quantities, but should not be taken each day for long period of time.
6) faultless foods are a big caution because they contain oxalic bitter. This combines with calcium within the bloodstream and gets excreted as calcium oxalate, so the result of ingestion these foods is a net calcium loss. These foods are: rhubarb, spinach, sorrel and to a much low-grade extent, chocolate. It's OK to have rhubarb 1 or 2 or 3 times a year, when it's fresh, but it's not OK to scarf down spinach 3 times a week while believing it's obedient for you. Pop-eye was wrong.
7) I'm sure your doctor have gone on and on about how you must do weight-bearing exercises. These build up bone tissue. Walking is only just great. It's perfect for you. Please set off that car at home. Could you marry a hiking or walking group. They're interesting & fun & a painless way to amass your bones. Swimming, by the way, is not considered a weight-bearing exercise, because the dampen supports the body. Bicycling is not as helpful as walking, because the bike bear the weight, not the human skeleton.
8) re: Fosamax. The questionable report about this is that the bone tissue that results is lacey and brittle. Studies enjoy shown that patients taking this and other similar medications hold just as masses fractures as control groups, even if their bone readings rearrange in test.
9) if you smoke, your doctor has already lecture you about this. It's a solid no-no for osteoporosis patients.
Wishing you the very best. It's a long year of work, but I intuitively believe osteoporosis can be avoided. If the disorder is present it can be stopped. I even believe it can be reversed,
I would say the following are the best for both osteoporosis and arthritis:
Kelp : - Kelp contains adjectives the vitamins, amino acids and minerals you need. It also contains Calcium, Magnesium and Manganese . All these nutrients are contained by a bio-absorbable format and the magnesium aids in the absorbtion of the other nutrients(particularly Calcium). It also contains iodine which is devout for the thyroid.
Chlorella, Spirulina: These are similar to Kelp but cost about 4 times as much. Personally, I prefer kelp.
Try looking these up on a google dig out. These are also good for arthritis:
More Questions & Answers...