I would to know almost cipium syrup?
Each 5ml contains:
Chlorpheniramine Malate USP 2 mg
In a flavoured syrup base
Colour: Ponceau 4R
Drug code Preparation Strength
221 Cough syrup 50 ml bottle.
· Chlorpheniramine maleate.
· Ammonium chloride.
· Sodium citrate.
Description of the Drug
· Chlorpheniramine maleate - 3 parts
· Ammonium chloride - 80 parts
· Sodium citrate - 50 parts.
· Menthol - 1 factor.
Mode of Action
· Chlorpheniramine malate – antihistaminic agent that has a medium antitussive action due to its sleeping pill property.
· Ammonium chloride - : which reduces viscosity of
reflexly acting expectorant. : sputum, making it easier to expectorate.
· Sodium citrate – directly
· Menthol smoothing effect.
On oral authority, the components are well rapt and produce its effect, 30 –45 minutes after ingestion. Duration of action is 4 –6 hours.
Used to relieve cough, it help to expectorant sputum by action as a mucokinetic agent, be well as suppression of cough due to middle sedative effect.
Adults 2 –3 teaspoons thrice day by day.
Children 1 –2 tea spoons thrice daily.
Route of Administrations Oral
Neonates and pregnancy.
Precaution / Practice points:
· It induces sleep and hence motion should be taken on taking it during daytime. Avoid driving or operating machinery.
· Patients with natural lesion should be treated for underlying cause of cough and symptomatic treatment should merely be an adjuvant therapy.
· Instruct the merciful to abstain from alcohol.
· Sympathomimetics or MAO Inhibitors use cautionaly; because of stabilizer pressor effects due to anticholinergic effect of chlorpheniramine.
· Sedation most common.
· Anticholonergic effects – dry mouth, blurred sight.
Store in a cool dry place.
Shelf duration 2 years.
Hope this helped...........................
Thumbs up to answer above, I couldnt affix any more to that, full complete and correct!